Thursday, September 4, 2008

The Fall: my little movie review

Photobucket

IMDB blurb: In a hospital on the outskirts of 1920s Los Angeles, an injured stuntman (Pace) begins to tell a fellow patient, a little girl with a broken arm (Untaru), a fantastical story about 5 mythical heroes. Thanks to his fractured state of mind and her vivid imagination, the line between fiction and reality starts to blur as the tale advances.

Unparalleled acting, fantastic light and colors, and it made me want to cry quite a bit. The crying part was emphasized by the fact that I watched this movie while lying all sickly-like on the couch.

I wish I had seen the trailer for this movie to begin with, as I wouldn’t have been as surprised by the adult themes as I was. From the start I expected a childlike fantasy story told between two unexpected characters that were stuck together in this sad hospital while they both healed from their subsequent falls. Sounds like a crappy summer flick. And while that is more or less what does happen it’s much more real life and less childlike. The movie starts off innocent enough, but as our main character, Lee Pace, dips into a deeper depression the story turns violent and quite heartbreaking. Thankfully, the end of the movie makes up for all the sad.

Photobucket

5 stars from my little corner.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EeAyIQ_OT_I

No comments: